bth18

'Dissected' - book by Greg McInerney and Wendy Roles

Post by bth18 »

Thread for discussing the book
bth18

Re: 'Dissected' - book by Greg McInerney and Wendy Roles

Post by bth18 »

I'm struggling with bits of this book - this section:

"On one occasion he was drinking alone in the front bar at the Duke of York Hotel when his old friend Sarah walked in with Bevan von Einem. The two had a boy with them that they had just picked up on North Terrace in the city. Naturally the old acquaintances sat together at a table in the lounge bar.

The foursome drank for an hour or so, von Einem paying for the drinks before leaving to go to Sarah’s house at Mile End. The boy had become smitten with Sarah who was born in 1957, and had met both Neil and von Einem 7 years prior at only 15 years of age. By this stage of her sexual reassignment therapy she had the appearance of an attractive young woman. Sarah was not rejecting the boy’s attention, stating rather that she liked him.

Once in von Einem’s car Sarah was offered 5 Mandrax tablets by von Einem which she quickly swigged down with Southern Comfort. They made the short journey to Sarah’s mother’s house at Mile End and went inside to the lounge room. After another straight spirit Sarah passed out on the lounge leaving the boy in the company of von Einem and Neil Muir.

The following day, Sarah’s mother relayed to her that von Einem, Neil and the young lad left together that same evening after Sarah had passed out. What happened to the boy and where they went remains a mystery, but without a doubt, nothing good could have come out of it.

Later evidence would show that von Einem would have likely paid and then dropped Neil off somewhere and gone to a house in Chatham Street Adelaide with the boy. Neil would have had no interest in the boy whatsoever. If von Einem’s mother was out of town the boy would most likely have been taken to their unit at Campbelltown. He may have also contacted his friend the Businessman."

how could the authors possibly know this information down to this detail?

BVE isn't talking, Sarah is dead, Neil is sadly dead, did Sarah's mum go into this level of detail? or a secondary source like someone from the Chatham St address like Lewis?
Last edited by bth18 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jester
Site Admin

Post by Jester »

Someone contacted me through the form and said they love the website but if I want to be a better writer I could use grammarly.

Bits has already corrected about 100 spelling mistakes. I never proof read any of it. I think I wrote most of it out and put bit and bobs that I had saved together in a about a week. My energy was spent at the end and just couldn't bring myself to proof read it. Still haven't. It's still on the "one day..." list.

Anyway, the point is; I better go light on criticizing that clusterfuck of bad grammar that is the ebook (sorry Greg and Wendy if you ever venture in here!).

And Bits - thanks for mopping up all those spelling mistakes!
Jester
Site Admin

Post by Jester »

bth18 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:15 am I'm struggling with bits of this book - this section:
M&R wrote:
"On one occasion he was drinking alone in the front bar at the Duke of York Hotel when his old friend Sarah walked in with Bevan von Einem. The two had a boy with them that they had just picked up on North Terrace in the city. Naturally the old acquaintances sat together at a table in the lounge bar.

The foursome drank for an hour or so, von Einem paying for the drinks before leaving to go to Sarah’s house at Mile End. The boy had become smitten with Sarah who was born in 1957, and had met both Neil and von Einem 7 years prior at only 15 years of age. By this stage of her sexual reassignment therapy she had the appearance of an attractive young woman. Sarah was not rejecting the boy’s attention, stating rather that she liked him.

Once in von Einem’s car Sarah was offered 5 Mandrax tablets by von Einem which she quickly swigged down with Southern Comfort. They made the short journey to Sarah’s mother’s house at Mile End and went inside to the lounge room. After another straight spirit Sarah passed out on the lounge leaving the boy in the company of von Einem and Neil Muir.

The following day, Sarah’s mother relayed to her that von Einem, Neil and the young lad left together that same evening after Sarah had passed out. What happened to the boy and where they went remains a mystery, but without a doubt, nothing good could have come out of it.

Later evidence would show that von Einem would have likely paid and then dropped Neil off somewhere and gone to a house in Chatham Street Adelaide with the boy. Neil would have had no interest in the boy whatsoever. If von Einem’s mother was out of town the boy would most likely have been taken to their unit at Campbelltown. He may have also contacted his friend the Businessman."
how could the authors possibly know this information down to this detail?

BVE isn't talking, Sarah is dead, Neil is sadly dead, did Sarah's mum go into this level of detail? or a secondary source like someone from the Chatham St address like Lewis?
Good point.

This allegedly happened in 1979.

The 4 met at the Duke of York - someone had to be there or told about it. Sarah's Mum?

Sarah had 5 Mandrax in the car - again, someone had to be there to be able to go into this level of detail. The invisible man?

Sarah's Mum says to Sarah that BVE and Muir left with the boy - was the invisible man eavesdropping again?

A possible scenario;

After BVE was arrested, the stories started coming out. Sarah had a conversation with someone about Bevan's activities and how he would pick up boys. She told someone and says, "I was with BVE, we picked up a boy, ran into Neil, went to my Mum's, I passed out because i down about 5 mandies on the way, came to the next day and my Mum told me the boy left with BVE and Neil. Wonder what happened to him?

So possibly a story that had circulated for years in Sarah's social circle?
bth18

Post by bth18 »

that'd be the likely case I think and the authors took liberty in filling the gaps